Master of Laws (LL.M) FAQ

What is the University of Tulsa’s Institution Code for TOEFL reports?

The Institution Code for TU College of Law is 6883.

My TOEFL/IELTS score is below the minimum required, can I still apply for the LLM in Energy & Natural Resources Law?

Yes, an applicant may be considered for conditional admission, at the discretion of the admissions panel.  For instance, otherwise qualified applicants who do not yet meet the English proficiency requirements may be offered conditional admission to enroll in TU’s English Institute.

Once they have passed the English Institute’s Level 5 with a 90% or higher, they may be permitted to enroll into the law school.  Otherwise, students who are taking the TOEFL or IELTS, should be aware that in order for their application to be reviewed and a final decision made, the must have achieved a score that meets TU’s minimum requirement for admission to the Energy Law Concentration (90 TOEFL or 6.5 – 7.0 IELTS).

I will complete my first degree in law next spring. Am I eligible to apply for the fall?

As long as the applicant will have completed her degree by the time she would begin her LLM studies at TU, she may be considered for conditional admission. She must submit academic records of all law coursework completed at the time she applies, and if she is admitted she will be required to submit final transcripts showing her degree was awarded before starting the LLM program at TU College of Law.

When will a decision be made on my application?

Decisions are made within 2-3 weeks of receipt of a completed online application package.  Applicants can track the status of their application online from our home page, under the section “Apply directly Online Now”. Applicants are notified by email of offers of admission.  Applicants must be sure that TU has a current email and postal address for them.

When does the LLM program begin?

This is a 24 credit degree program that begins on campus mid-August of each year, for the fall semester, and early January for spring semester.   All students are required attend a multi-day “Foundations of Legal Studies” orientation before classes begin.

How much money should I budget for living expenses while studying at the University of Tulsa?

See the current tuition and living expenses estimate.

Where can I find options for financial aid?

One place to start is at the information contained on the LLM Guide website. See also here for more information about funding an LLM. (link to the funding page)

After completion of the LL.M. program, am I eligible to take the bar examination?

The Masters of Laws is a specialist degree, designed to prepare lawyers to practice law in the international arena.  This program is not intended to serve as a bar preparation course.  However, students planning to take a bar exam upon completion of the LLM program should research a state’s bar eligibility requirements before beginning any program. See the National Conference of Bar Examiners website for a state-by-state summary of bar exam requirements.

For example, many students who received LLM degrees in other states have successfully taken the New York bar exam.  Eligibility in some states require completion of specific courses during the student’s LLM studies that may or may not be compatible with the energy concentration requirements.

What kind of career guidance do you provide your Master Students?

LLM students work directly with the office of LLM Programs and Global Legal Education to develop their career strategies.  Please read more on the Career Strategies page.

What are the next steps once I’ve been admitted?

Non-permanent residents or non-US citizen applicants will work with TU’s International Student Services Office to secure a US student visa.  Please be advised, this process can take up to two months within the applicants home country.  Admitted students can contact Housing and Dining Services to find a place to live, on or off campus.

Can I enroll in the JD program upon completion of the LLM program if I already have a foreign law degree?

Yes, however this will be considered on a case-by-case basis. It may be possible to enroll in the JD program after completion of the MJEL or MJIL programs, on a case-by-case basis.